One of the best ways to improve your earthquake and tsunami preparedness is to practice. Joining the Caribbean’s annual tsunami exercise is easy. Just follow these five steps:
- Register at surveymonkey.com/r/Caribewave2023. On Exercise Day, March 23, 2023, the Department of Disaster Management will trigger the National Early Warning and Multi-hazard Alert System, which means that sirens, radio notifications, the DDM app and other components will notify the public of the test.
- When you hear the alert, practice the earthquake safety response of Drop, Cover and Hold On.
- After one minute, proceed to your tsunami assembly point. Don’t forget your wellness checks once you’ve arrived.
- When you get back to your home, school, or office, practice a safety check before re-entering the building.
- Reflect on improvements you can make to your plans now that you’ve practiced. You can also share feedback with us at 468-4200 or [email protected]
Finally, we’d love to see your photos and videos on social media, so please share them and tag @BVIDDM or use the hashtag #CaribeWaveBVI