The Government of the Virgin Islands is seeking to fill the position of Senior Technical Planning Manager within the Department of Disaster Management.
The successful applicant will develop and oversee the BVI Mitigation and Planning Program to ensure efficient disaster management procedures are in place in case of a national emergency and to facilitate the development of national hazard mitigation and prevention measures.
- Liaise with CDEMA to develop, implement and monitor mitigation measures as per BVI Comprehensive Disaster Management (CDM) Strategy and Results Framework, as well as CDM policy to ensure correct procedures are carried out in the event of a disaster.
- Liaise with public sector agencies and other relevant parties involved in hazard mitigation planning to ensure data, risk maps and research information is correctly shared in a timely and efficient manner.
- Monitor, research and analyse land developments including building sites to ensure disaster protection regulations are being adhered to in order to minimise impact of any disasters.
- Analyse the vulnerability of essential utilities frameworks to ensure their continued operations in cases of national disaster.
- Review and monitor the integration of the Hazard Vulnerability Assessment within the Environmental Impact Assessment Report and participate in associated Environmental Monitoring Committees to ensure implementation of mitigation measures and risk reduction in development projects.
- Establish, implement and coordinate an effective and efficient emergency data storage and retrieval system stored on a Geographic Information System to ensure date can be easily retrieved in coordination with the National GIS data.
- Serve on the Mitigation Subcommittee of the National Disaster Management Council and to represent the Director of Disaster Management on related scientific and technical committees to ensure flow of information.
- Liaise with UNDP, CDB, CDEMA, DFID, USAID and other related international donor agencies to ensure maximum funding is received for program development.
- Research and analyse historical national natural disasters and utilize such data to recommend to the Department any changes required to current national and regional disaster planning, including specific high risk areas, to ensure minimal impact of future disasters affecting Virgin Islands.
- Design, monitor and implement scientific and technical programs to ensure adequate monitoring and warning of impending potential natural disaster.
- Supervise and oversee the work carried out by the Technical Planning Officer to ensure continuous high standards are maintained.
- Assume the role and duties of Assistant Operations Officer (AOO) when the National Emergency Operations Centre is on standby or in operation to ensure specialized technical and scientific knowledge already gathered is disseminated correctly for decision making.
- Use available data to provide projections of likely disaster scenarios, advise on appropriate counter measures before impact of disaster and advise on recovery strategies after impact whilst acting as AOO to ensure maximum damage limitation.
- Serve on the relevant National Disaster Management Council sub-committee.
- Perform any other duties as required by the supervisor or senior officer in order to contribute to the effectiveness and efficiency of the department.
- Master’s degree in Geology, Physical Planning, Civil/Structural/Geological Engineering or related area
- Five (5) years’ experience in a planning OR economic planning department in any one of the following roles: Earth Sciences Engineer, Physical or Economic Planner, or Project Manager
- Advanced training in disaster management and geographic information systems
- Sound knowledge of the Government structure, policies and procedures
- Sound knowledge of BVI Government planning and environmental acts, as well as regulations, including physical, environmental, mitigation and hazard planning
- Sound knowledge of building practices regarding protection against earthquakes and hurricanes
- Sound knowledge of budget planning and inventory management
- Sound analytical and data interpretation skills
- Sound supervisory and management skills
- Sound knowledge of the use of standard office equipment and computer applications
- Good interpersonal and organisational skills
- Sound oral and written communication skills
- Ability to work well under pressure
Closing Date: 10 February 2017
Full details on the post including remuneration/benefits and how to apply can be downloaded by clicking on the link below :