At 500 AM, the centre of Tropical Storm Karen was located by the San Juan Doppler radar near latitude 16.8 North, longitude 65.8 West. Karen is moving toward the north near 7 mph, and this general motion is expected to continue today. A north-northeastward motion is forecast tonight through Wednesday night. On the forecast track, the center of Karen will pass near or over Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands today, and then move over the western Atlantic tonight and Wednesday.
Maximum sustained winds have increased to near 40 mph with higher gusts. Additional strengthening is forecast during the next 48 hours.
Tropical-storm-force winds extend outward up to 80 miles from the centre.
The estimated minimum central pressure is 1006 mb.
Impacts on the British Virgin Islands
- Winds gusting to tropical force are possible.
- Possible rainfall amounts of 2 to 4 inches with isolated amounts 6 inches.
- Flooding, mudslides and rock slides are possible.
- High Surf conditions likely
- Seas as high as 10 – 12 feet , coastal flooding possible
What to do
- Keep monitoring the system. Flash Flood Alert Statements may be issued. Small Craft should stay in port. Exercise caution while driving in squall like conditions as vision may be impaired.
Persons can also download the Alert app in the Apple App store or Google Play store to receive updates of any hazards affecting the Territory.
You can also visit the DDM’s webpage at www.bviddm.com and subscribe for updates or like us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/bvi.ddm.
Disclaimer: The Department of Disaster Management (DDM) is not an official Meteorological Office. The Information disseminated by the Department is gathered from a number of professional sources used or contracted by the DDM to provide such information. This information is to be used as a guide by anyone who has interest in local weather conditions. By no means can the DDM or the BVI Government be held accountable by anyone who uses this information appropriately for legal evidence or in justification of any decision which may result in the loss of finances, property or life.