24th SEPTEMBER, 2019 — At 1100 AM, the centre of Tropical Storm Karen was located near latitude 17.5 North, longitude 65.8 West or approximately 99 miles West south west of the British Virgin Islands. Karen is moving toward the north near 8 mph, and this general motion is expected to continue today. A north-northeastward motion with some increase in forward speed is forecast tonight through Wednesday night.
The closest point of approach of the eye utilizing coordinates for Tortola will be about 65.9 miles to west of the British Virgin Islands. As most of the convection is located in the south eastern quadrant, the BVI could potentially experience more impacts from this system. These potential impacts include:
- Winds gusting to tropical storm force
- Possible rainfall amounts of 3 to 6 inches with isolated amounts 8 inches
- Possible flooding, mudslides and rock slides
- Increased High Surf conditions
- Seas as high as 10–12 feet with the potential for coastal flooding
Maximum sustained winds are near 40 mph with higher gusts. Slow strengthening is expected during the next couple of days.
Tropical-storm-force winds extend outward up to 80 miles mainly to the southeast of the centre.
What to do
- Keep monitoring the system. Flash Flood Alert Statements may be issued. Small Craft should stay in port. Exercise caution while driving in squall like conditions as vision may be impaired.
Persons can also download the Alert app in the Apple App store or Google Play store to receive updates of any hazards affecting the Territory.
Disclaimer: The Department of Disaster Management (DDM) is not an official Meteorological Office. The Information disseminated by the Department is gathered from a number of professional sources used or contracted by the DDM to provide such information. This information is to be used as a guide by anyone who has interest in local weather conditions. By no means can the DDM or the BVI Government be held accountable by anyone who uses this information appropriately for legal evidence or in justification of any decision which may result in the loss of finances, property or life.