close
US NOAA PREDICTS ABOVE AVERAGE 2022 ATLANTIC HURRICANE SEASON

US NOAA PREDICTS ABOVE AVERAGE 2022 ATLANTIC HURRICANE SEASON

May 24, 202270Views

Forecasters at the US National Oceanographic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) issued a forecast report today that anticipates above-average hurricane activity this year. If correct, and other experts have issued similar outlooks, 2022 would be the seventh consecutive above-average hurricane season.

NOAA’s outlook for the 2022 Atlantic Hurricane Season calls for a a 65% chance of an above-normal season, a 25% chance of a near-normal season and a 10% chance of a below-normal season.

For the 2022 hurricane season, NOAA is forecasting a range of 14 to 21 named storms (winds of 39 mph or higher), of which 6 to 10 could become hurricanes (winds of 74 mph or higher), including 3 to 6 major hurricanes (category 3, 4 or 5; with winds of 111 mph or higher). NOAA says it issues these ranges with a 70% confidence.

See the full forecast report here.