The Department of Disaster Management invites applications for the post of Emergency Communications Officer.
The successful applicant will perform duties under the direction of the Emergency Communications Manager including installation, upgrade and maintenance of all early warning, meteorology, broadcast, seismic and network and communications systems to ensure the effectiveness and efficiency of equipment, systems and users.
- Be available for 24 hour call during times of disaster to carry out duties, including maintaining radio/weather watch and monitoring primary frequencies on portable radio assigned.
- Install, test and carry out restorative and routine maintenance on all early warning, broadcast, weather stations and telecommunications systems at the Department of Disaster Management and at remote locations operated under the Emergency Operations Programme to ensure effectiveness and efficiency.
- Maintain and upkeep of earthquake seismic stations in Anegada and Virgin Gorda with support from the Puerto Rico Seismic Network, including working in conjunction with the Puerto Rico Strong Motion Sensor Programme to install Seismic Sensors and provide maintenance to such equipment.
- Develop and maintain the standard operational procedures for the emergency response systems and participate in onsite training and demonstrations to ensure highly trained systems users.
- Develop and maintain a database of assigned tools, plant and test equipment for the Unit and schedule periodic testing activities to ensure that they are in full working order when required, making suggestions for new equipment as and when needed.
- Perform equipment modifications to systems as per upgrades recommended by manufacturers and provide technical assistance to departments/agencies in installing and maintaining equipment, making recommendations for improvements to maximize efficiency.
- Obtain feedback on equipment performance by ensuring the promotion of good relations with internal and external clients/customers.
- Acquire and distribute communication equipment as requested by the Emergency Communications Manager to ensure continuity of operations.
- Serve on the relevant National Disaster Management Council sub-committees.
- Instruct Annual VHF Radio Operator Courses as part of the Emergency Operations Programme.
- Conduct daily radio checks and monitor local, regional and international telecommunications networks.
- In emergency functions, the Communications Officer is under the supervision of the Emergency Communications Manager and will assist with the operations of the Early Warning System and Emergency Communications. Upon activation of the National Emergency Operation Centre, the Emergency Communications Officer becomes the Assistant Communications Officer and is required to perform specific responsibilities.
- Perform any other duties as required by the supervisor or senior officer in order to contribute to the effectiveness and efficiency of the department.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Telecommunications Technology/Management, Electronics Engineering or related field
- Two (2) years’ experience in communications or related area
- Experience in the field of Emergency Communications, Weather Observations and Weather Systems
- Sound knowledge of the Government structure, policies and procedures
- Sound knowledge of the use of standard office equipment and computer applications
- Sound report writing skills
- Sound knowledge of disaster management techniques and systems
- Good interpersonal and organisational skills
- Sound oral and written communication skills
- Ability to work well under pressure
- 13 November, 2017