TERMS OF REFERENCE
PROMOTIONAL VIDEO FOR THE
DEPARTMENT OF DISASTER MANAGEMENT
The Virgin Islands Government, through the Department of Disaster Management (DDM), developed a Comprehensive Disaster Management (CDM) Policy, Strategy and Programming Framework for the period 2009-2013. The purpose of the national CDM Policy is to establish the necessary systems, structures, programmes, resources, capabilities and guiding principles for reducing disaster risk and preparing for, responding to and recovering from emergencies and disasters caused by natural and man-made hazards. This is done in order to minimize human suffering, reduce economic losses and protect the integrity of the marine and terrestrial environment.
The DDM’s Public Information & Education Programme is responsible for marketing the Department in an effort to promote greater community awareness of the DDM’s mandate, its work and annual achievements. With the proliferation of digital video technology and availability of funding provided by the Department for International Development (DFID), the DDM is desirous of producing a succinct, yet visually stimulating documentary on its work. It is expected that the end product will be a twenty (20) minute, high quality promotional video which documents the DDM’s formation, achievements, role, functions, purpose, services and programmes.
This promotional video shouldl highlight basic information about the Department and should be formatted to target a wide audience. This video will be aired on all local television stations the Department’s website and other online social networking sites utilized by the DDM. It will also be used to promote the work of the Department at meetings and conferences held locally, regionally and internationally.
While the DDM has media production capacity in house; our range is limited. It is therefore necessary to engage professionals to complete this activity; specifically in the areas of editing, script-writing, graphics and production.
2. OBJECTIVES OF CONSULTANCY
The objectives of this consultancy are to:
· Showcase information about the DDM that allows for reaching a greater target audience through the use of video technology;
· To produce a high-end, high quality video (not exceeding 20 minutes using high impact graphics) that can be used to create an awareness of the DDM and to highlight its work;
3. SCOPE OF WORK
This project will require the engagement of a professional video producer to develop the content for the video; an excellent script writer to create a short storyline; a videographer, eloquent narrator and a skillful video editor to compile and create the video.
The Video Producer will be required to:
a) Prepare the storyline/script;
b) Provide narration for the storyline/script
c) Capture relevant footage;
d) Prepare voiceover with the use of a carefully selected narrator;
e) Edit content to create a video that does not exceed 20 minutes of play out time t
f) Secure applicable audio score;
g) Produce draft dvd or electronic format of video for approval ;
h) Finalise and package the promotional video and prepare for handover of 5 Copies to DDM
More specifically, the Video Producer will:
3.1 Prepare a Inception Report with Work Implementation Plan that demonstrates a clear understanding of the assignment, detailing:
i. The Proposed Work Schedule with timelines and methodology;
ii. Proposed Budget; and
iii. List of material or resources required for the Consultancy.
3.2 Communicate with the DDM Staff for information and to coordinate for best times to record (to capture activities in progress);
3.3 Prepare a creative script and story line for video;
3.4 Coordinate with DDM Staff to organize for suitable time for recording interviews and capturing footage;
3.5 Organise for proper lighting, sound and location for best quality;
3.6 Capture relevant footage
3.7 Secure Narrator and applicable audio score for voice over and sounds
3.8 Edit content to fit not more than 20 minutes
3.9 Present draft video to DDM for comments;
3.4 Enhance and finalise the Promotional Video through a process that includes:
i. A private viewing to the DDM Staff;
ii. Making adjustments, if necessary; and
iii. Presentation of the high end, high quality promotional video;
4.1 Work Implementation Plan
4.2 Draft Video for response and comments from the DDM;
4.3 Enhanced and Finalised Promotional Video;
5. INPUTS OF THE DEPARTMENT OF DISASTER MANAGEMENT
The DDM will provide:
i. Relevant literature that Consultant may require;
ii. Logistical support for first viewing and private viewing to staff;
iii. Technical comments and feedback on the outputs of the Consultancy within 2 weeks of receipt of material;
iv. General oversight in the roll out of the consultancy.
6. CONSULTANT PROFILE
The Consultant should have the following skills:
Qualifications and Experience
1. A minimum of seven (7) years’ experience in Video and Audio Production or relevant field;
2. A minimum of five (5) years’ experience in Script Writing;
3. A minimum of five (5) years’ experience in the field of Video Editing;
4. A minimum or five (5) years’ experience in the field of videography.
Knowledge and Skills
1. Demonstrated knowledge and skills in the production of a high end, high quality video;
2. Demonstrated knowledge and skills in script writing;
3. Demonstrated knowledge and skills in video editing;
4. Demonstrated knowledge and skills in videography;
5. Ability to manage assignments effectively – consistently ensuring timeliness and quality of work with minimum supervision;
6. Strong communication, documentation and presentation skills.
The Technical Proposal should indicate at minimum
1. Proposed approach to be taken for the roll out of the consultancy;
2. Evidence of stakeholder participation in the development of the proposed documents;
4. Curriculum Vitae of consultant and for each member of the team (if a team approach is utilised).
Note: The financial proposal should have a detailed budget breakdown with man days for each team member identified.
7. INDICATIVE TIMEFRAME AND MAN DAYS
PRODUCTION OF PROMOTIONAL VIDEO
# of Man-days
Video Editor/Graphics Artist
Audio Scoring (Sound)
Note: All other expenses are to be included in the financial report.
The consultancy is estimated to be no more than 18 ½ working days in total (from development until handover to DDM for layout and design) and the successful candidate should be an individual who is able to assume duties by May 15th, 2011.
Interested persons should submit a proposal based on the Terms of Reference outlined above complete with: <