28TH May 2011-Disturbance 2 is a weak area of low-pressure that is nearly stationary near 12N and 78W. There is some thunderstorm activity associated with this system, but development is not expected over the next few days.
Some models indicate that Disturbance 2 will linger in the southwest Caribbean and it could begin to show signs of development in about 5 days.
Presently the Disturbance is not a threat to the Virgin Islands however the DDM will continue to monitor the situation and advise the public accordingly.
As we approach the beginning of the 2011 Atlantic Hurricane Season, the DDM is advising persons to make all necessary preparations. Also be sure to have your emergency kits checked and all contingency plans revised.
Disclaimer: The Department of Disaster Management (DDM) is not an official Meteorological Office. The Information disseminated by the Department is gathered from a number of professional sources used or contracted by the DDM to provide such information. This information is to be used as a guide by anyone who has interest in local weather conditions. By no means can the DDM or the BVI Government be held accountable by anyone who uses this information appropriately for legal evidence or in justification of any decision which may result in the loss of finances, property or life.
- Document Centre
- Risk Analysis & Climate Adaptation
- Records Management, Project Implementation & Reporting
- Marketing Awareness & Knowledge Management
- Early Warning & Communication Systems Development
- Business Continuity & Community Development
- Inter & Intra Departmental Services
- Community Based Disaster Risk Reduction
- Capacity Building
- National Volunteer Registry
- Community Emergency Response Team(CERT)
- Business Emergency Response Team (BERT)
- Hazard Vulnerability Assessment(HVA)
- National Relief and Recovery Assistance
- Orientation to Business Continuity & Recovery Planning
- Evacuation Planning
- Simulation Exercise Planning
- VHF Radio Telephone Workshop
- Logistics Support Systems (LSS)
- 2017 Training, Exercise & Meeting Schedule
- Kids Corner
- Contact Us