close
WEATHER UPDATE FOR THE VIRGIN ISLANDS

WEATHER UPDATE FOR THE VIRGIN ISLANDS

July 31, 2012646Views

The Flash flood watch that was in effect until 2 pm this afternoon has been extended until 10 pm tonight.

Synopsis: Significant moisture remaining from a tropical wave along with an unstable atmosphere will continue to heighten the chance of significant shower and thunderstorm activity across the Virgin Islands mainly tonight.

Tonight: Cloudy to overcast with scattered to numerous showers. Heavy showers accompanied by thunderstorms are also likely.

Tomorrow: Cloudy with scattered showers and isolated thunderstorms.

Winds: ESE at 08-16kts.

Seas: Slight to moderate waves 1.2-1.5m or 4-5ft.

MEANWHILE IN THE ATLANTIC, DISTURBANCE 31 DEVELOPS

Current Location: 9.5N 40.5W

Geographic Reference: 1350 miles East-southeast of Barbados

Movement: West at 12 mph

Organizational Trend: Slowly Increasing

Chance of Development Within 48 Hours: 40 percent

Chance of Development Beyond 48 Hours: 60 percent

According to Impact Weather, showers and storms have increased in association with Disturbance 31 since this morning. Environmental conditions remain favorable for gradual development. The computer models are also still developing the system. The chance of development has been increased to 40 percent within the next 48 hours. The chance of development remains at 60 percent before the system reaches the islands of the eastern Caribbean. There has been little change to the track forecast. A track slightly north of due west is forecast due to a strong ridge of high pressure to the north. This is likely to bring the system through the Lesser Antilles on Saturday.

Expected Impacts on Land:  Tropical storm force winds and heavy rainfall are possible on Saturday in the Lesser Antilles.

The DDM is monitoring the weather conditions and will provide updates where necessary. Please visit the DDM’s website at www.bviddm.com and subscribe for future updates.

Disclaimer: The Department of Disaster Management (DDM) is not an official Meteorological Office. The Information disseminated by the Department is gathered from a number of professional sources used or contracted by the DDM to provide such information. This information is to be used as a guide by anyone who has interest in local weather conditions. By no means can the DDM or the BVI Government be held accountable by anyone who uses this information appropriately for legal evidence or in justification of any decision which may result in the loss of finances, property or life.