Monday, June 7 – In preparation for what is expected to be an active hurricane season, the Department of Disaster Management began its Hurricane Preparedness Campaign, under the theme “Get Prepared, Be Prepared”, with a message from Governor Boyd McCleary outlining the key related issues.
On June 1 Colorado State University’s leading forecaster, Professor William Gray and Research Scientist Philip J. Klotzbatch, estimated this year’s hurricane season will have about nine hurricanes, 16 named storms, and five intense hurricanes developing to at least a Category 3 strength, or higher.
A comparative official report from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) highlighting its official Atlantic Hurricane Seasonal Outlook, reveals this year’s season calls for a 65 percent chance of an above normal season, a 25 percent chance of a near-normal season, and a 10 percent chance of a below-normal season.
Colorado State University and NOAA both anticipate the 2011 Atlantic hurricane season will be characterised as above-average with predictions that there will be significantly more activity than the average 1950-2000 season. The season is expected to see about 80 named storm days, 35 hurricane days and 10 intense hurricane days.
Throughout the season, which officially runs from June 1 to November 30, the DDM will partner with all local media to issue public service announcements and other types of information to provide guidance for residents as they make their preparations this hurricane season. A number of activities will be included in the campaign this year including a partnership with a local company to produce a hurricane guide, provision of information for the Spanish speaking community, making presentations to local civic groups, voicing of public service announcements, the use of e-blasting and social networking to ensure messages are reaching all cross-sections of the community.
All residents and visitors are urged to pay close attention to the information being broadcast or printed and to ensure that they remain in a heightened state of readiness for the next six months.
For more information on Hurricane Preparedness please visit the DDM’s website at www.bviddm.com or visit our offices at #3 Wailing Road, MacNamara, Tortola.